In my previous attempt to make sure whole sheet se-tenants are not broken up, I created a page that had a nice high resolution scan of the full sheet with a form fox that allow you to enter the location where you are keeping the sheet.
This is my solution going forward, so I did the same for the North American Wildlife sheet that came out in 1987.
I originally did the Community US Stamp album supplement, because hacking Mystic past 2000 was looking to turn into a major undertaking. With the sheer volume of the se-tenants and miniature sheets that USPS produced in the 2000s and 2010s, it would have required hacking a LOT of pages, as many as 50% of pages per supplement. So, I thought it would be a lot easier to make my own pages.
But now I am looking at making 19 years of pages. That’s a whole lot of work to do, especially when trying to crank out a stamp album with page descriptions. The description are blatantly stolen from the US Postal Bulletin. But it is very time consuming to turn around and cut and paste descriptions from the US Postal Bulletin into a spreadsheet.
I get like 90% of what I need from the Scott Minuteman Album. It has descriptions for all commemorative stamps, and se-tenants are almost always displayed the way I intend to collect them. The only thing I don’t like is how thin the paper is.
But I think I can get past that.
If there is anyone besides me that thought that this album was a good idea, and is willing to dedicate some time into helping me cut and paste descriptions into an online spreadsheet, I’d be happy to continue the work. If no one is using the supplement, then I see no real point in continuing the make pages for this supplement.
Mystic’s pages 415-423 lets you mounts the 1976 full sheet se-tenant of US state flags as individual stamps. This is not the way I would do it, but it’s really the ONLY way to do it, if you want to put the stamps in your album.
I chose to go a different. I have a Itoya Art Portfolio that I store all my full sheet se-tenants in. Since I am NOT planning on breaking them up in order to mount them in the album, and since I don’t want to buy a whole other sheet to break it up into individual stamps, I did the following.
I took my flag sheet and I scanned it at 600dpi. I then made one page, with this picture on it. Underneath it is the caption “State Flags” and underneath that is a PDF text field you click in and enter the description of where you store this sheet. In my case, I typed “This stamp sheet can be found in Full Sheet Album on page 1.”
I then print that, and place is my album and remove pages 414-423 from the album.
A WARNING: The file is HUGE. It’s about 127 MB in size. That’s because of the 600 dpi image of the stamp sheet. But it looks REALLY nice when it prints out.
A NOTE: I should also hack pages 413-414 in order to clean up the descriptions on page 414. Right now the description starts talking about the stamp sheet and then lists the stamps that were on page 415. That’s “good enough” for me for now. I’ll revisit this hack when it’s not 10:00 PM at night on a Sunday.
The page was a bit of pain to hack, but I did the best I could with it. I wanted to keep the letter writing stamps as a complete vertical strip. This is what I came up with. Not 100% happy with it, but I like it more than what Mystic did. Feel free to use the Scribus file to hack some more.
The strip of Christmas stamps was incorrectly labeled as a self-adhesive booklet. It is, in fact, a self-adhesive coil. Page has been corrected and the old file has been overwritten. Same download link will get you the new file.