Took a hard look at the 1998 Stamp Album Supplement and found some issues:
Some of the stamp boxes were not the right size
I completely missed 282C-285C, the Red Breasted Goose miniature sheet.
I have one cardinal rule when it comes to mounting stamps: never EVER break up a setenant or miniature sheet. The Red-Breasted Goose Miniature Sheet in longer than a US Letter piece of paper. So, there is no way to fit it in a piece of paper intact.
For this, and other stamp sheets larger than what can fit on a binder page, I purchased a 9×14 Itoya Art Portfolio and put those kinds of stamps in there. I then make a page with a full color scan of the stamp sheet, put it on the page, and make PDF form that has a blank box you can fill in where you are storing the sheet.
The sheet in this supplement looks like this:
The updated supplement is on Google Drive. I just overwrote the old file.
When I first began working on the Tryzub Ukrainian stamp album, I was trying to crank through supplements as quickly as possible. This caused me release supplements with best guesses to what the stamp box size should be.
The halfway through the process, I got a MICHEL license to use their catalog numbers, which made me have to redo a lot of old supplements very quickly.
In all that rushing, I never ordered stamps from 1997.
I corrected that 2 weeks ago, and I finally sat down to put stamps in mounts and get the mounts on pages. And I learned that the boxes on the pages were a hot mess. Some stamps fit inside the boxes, and others did not.
So I redid the whole supplement this afternoon. The only thing new is the size of the stamp boxes. MICHEL numbers and descriptions are the same. If you’re happy with the way things are mounted, then there is no reason to download this and remount.
I overwrote the original file on my Google Drive with the new one.
At long last, I finished the Tryzub Ukrainian Stamp Album 2020 supplement. A couple of notes about the supplement:
I changed the way I buy stamps. Instead of getting them from UKRPOSHTA, I bought them from an eBay seller. Because of this, I only had one EUROPA booklet. So, I only made one EUROPA booklet sheet. It’s designed the way I wanted to mount my booklet. If you want a different booklet sheet, look at the notes in the supplement.
MICHEL stamp numbering for Ukraine 2020 stops in November with stamp 1917. EVERY NUMBER AFTER THAT IS MY BEST GUESS AS TO WHAT THE NUMBERS WILL BE. I will release an updated supplement when MICHEL finishes their 2020 numbering. Either hold off mounting anything after 1917, or be prepared to remount stamps.
I got all the stamps scanned in last night. God bless my wife for putting up with that.
But now a new challenge presents itself. Michel hasn’t finished assigning catalog numbers to the 2020 stamps. So, I did a “best guess” on what the numbers are going to be. I’m going to make some stamp pages this weekend. Once the supplement is done, there may be revisions, if my stamp numbers don’t match up what Michel comes up with.
The 2020 Ukrainian stamps are here, and they’re all in mounts. There were miniature sheets I did not have mounts for. This would normally cause a week delay, since I would need to order mounts from globalstamps.com.
Conveniently, I have a stamp and coin collecting store that’s a 5 minute drive from my house AND my son works there. So, I placed an order and asked my son to bring them home. The owner texts me and tells me he’s out of all the sizes I need. But I am welcome to come in and look through his “loose mounts.”
I drive over. He hands me a box and 30 minuter later I find almost perfect fits, and paid the man $3.00 for the 4 mounts that I bought and went home.
Challenge 1 overcome.
Challenge 2 is upon me now. Most of the sites I use to get stamp images are really behind on their Ukrainian stamps. So, I’m going to need to scan the stamps myself. I’ll try to see what I can get done tonight. I was debating going without images completely, but I think that might be an utter failure, since the stamps are in Cyrillic and my pages are not.
The stamps are in mounts, and I can measure them now. That’s progress. As long as the “honey do” list is short this evening, I’ll be scanning stamps.
This one took some work. I had it all done. I had my wife proofread it. I printed pages and began to make sure all the stamps fit properly. I had to resize a few blocks. Then I kept mounting. And when all was said and done, all the pages were full, and there was still one stamp sitting on the table, waiting to be mounted. So, back to the computer I go to redesign 5 pages to make one stamp fit. Then I spoke to a stamp collector in Ukraine, and found out there were WAY MORE definitives issued than what Colnect.com and even the MICHEL catalog had listed. So had to go back and do 2 more pages of definitives. But, it’s finally done!
As a side note, I reached out MICHEL and the will be adding the rest of these definitives to their catalog as soon as I get them in the mail from Ukraine and provide them with a high resolution scan of the stamps, so they can see the microprint.
And here is a sample page:
As always, stamp pages are available on my Google Drive.
Pandemic boredom makes a man turn to stamp collecting. I am re-releasing my 2005 Ukrainian Stamp Album supplement to include MICHEL catalog numbers and dates of issue. This is the last supplement I had to update to comply with the new format. Now I just need to wait until my 2019 stamps arrive from Ukraine.